The ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 is the 12th edition of the World Cup. England and Wales are hosting the tournament. The Tournaments starts from May 30, 2019, to July 14, 2019. World Cup final match is going to happen in the lord’s venue. In the first match of the tournament, hosting nation England and South Africa will face each other on 30th May 2019. The final will take place on 14th July.
Let’s take a look at the fun facts about the ICC World Cup 2019.
• England is hosting the tournament for the record 5th time, previously in the year 1975,1979,1983 and 1999 England hosted the World Cup.
• Lord’s will host the ICC World Cup Final match for the 5th time, which is most by any stadium.
• The weight of the World Cup trophy is 11kg which is 24.25 pounds and the height of the trophy is 650mm i.e 2ft.
• The trophy has traveled in five continents, 21 countries, and over 60 cities the “Most connected trophy tour ever”.
• Only 10 teams qualified for this year World Cup. There are no associate member nations teams in this World Cup. The participating Countries are England (hosts), Australia, Bangladesh, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, and the West Indies.
• Zimbabwe will not participate in the World Cup, for the first time, since 1983.
• The group stage format is a round-robin, 1992 World Cup was played completely in round robin format and after 27 years the World Cup is set to play in round robin format.
• 10 teams play against each other that there will be a total of 45 games before the final stage of the tournament.
• Top 4 teams will qualify for the semifinal and there will be no quarter-finals for this 2019 World Cup tournament.
• The winner of the tournament will receive the amount of US $4,800,000 i.e 33cr
• The runner-up of the tournament receives the amount of US $2,200,000 i.e 15cr
• Both the losers of the semifinal will have prize money of US $1,100,100 i.e 7cr
Top 9 facts you need to know about ICC Cricket World
1. 1975, 1979, 1983 World Cup had matches with 60 overs a side.
2. The World Cup was held outside England for the first time in 1987 in India and Pakistan.
3. The 1992 World Cup was the first to have white cricket balls, color jerseys, and day-night matches.
4. Australia is the only team to have won 3 consecutive World Cups ( 1999, 2003, 2007 )
5. England, South Africa, and New Zealand have never won an ICC World Cup, while Australia has won 5, West Indies has won 2, India has 2 World Cups, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka has won 1 World Cup respectively.
6. In 7 out of the 11 World Cup finals, the team batting first has lifted the cup.
7. In the past two finals, the chasing team has won the cup.
8. 44 of the 54 five-wicket hauls by a bowler in a single match have come from pacers.
9. The man of the match title in the finals has gone six times to batsmen, twice to bowlers and three times to all-rounders.